16 Sep Stoptober 2019: Three Reasons Now is the Time to Quit
Stoptober 2019, the 28-day stop smoking campaign from Public Health England, is around the corner! So far it has driven over 1 million quit attempts. It is based on research stating that if you can stop smoking for 28 days, you are up to four times more likely to stay smoke free for good.
But why is Stoptober 2019 the time for you to quit smoking? Here are 3 good reasons to quit:
- FEEL HEALTHIER
No matter how long you have smoked for, quitting can help improve your health straight away. Within just 48hrs your body will have flushed out all carbon monoxide.
- SAVE MONEY
More money in your pocket. If you smoke a packet a day you could save £250 each month!
- PROTECT YOUR FAMILY
Quitting helps protect your loved ones from harmful second hand smoke – reducing their risk of developing asthma, meningitis and some cancers.
During the Enhance Health check, we can offer you support and advice on how and why to quit smoking. But here are some top tips to help you get started:
- Try stop smoking aids – including nicotine replacement therapies (NRT), prescription tablets and e cigarettes. These increase your changes of quitting with just willpower alone.
- Avoid triggers – If you usually smoke at certain times of the day, after food or with coffee, plan ahead and do something different at these times instead.
- Keep busy – try going for a walk, playing a game on your phone or tablet or phoning a friend until the craving passes. Or if you are using NRT or an e cigarette use it to keep the cravings at bay.
- Exercise the urge away – physical activity may help to reduce your nicotine cravings. When you have the urge to smoke, try doing something active like going on a short brisk walk or swimming in your local pool.
- Be prepared – if you have a big event like an important day at work or a wedding where you could be tempted to smoke, make a plan so you know what to do.
Quitting smoking is one of the healthiest changes you can make, and you’re less likely to relapse when you have consistent support.
The counselling sessions your local stop smoking service offer alongside the nicotine replacement therapy have been developed by experts and people understand what it’s like to quit smoking. If you’d like to talk with someone before opting to get further support, you can book a health check with us and we’ll address the ways you can tackle quitting for good as a part of your consultation.